I am a survivor - more common reactions
You might also be feeling:
- Guilt or self-blame: No one deserves to be raped and it is never your fault - even if you were drinking, or wearing sexy clothes, or if you agreed to some sexual activity like kissing.
- Avoidance: You may want to avoid anything that reminds you of the assault. Don't let avoidance prevent you from getting help.
- Anger: You might feel angry - at the person who hurt you, the world, yourself, and even people you love. Anger can be an important part of healing.
- Mood swings: Feelings from a sexual assault can be intense and overwhelming. Most survivors experience a lot of ups and downs in their healing process.
- Numbness: No feeling at all is a feeling that helps many survivors cope with the crisis of a rape.
- Flashbacks: Nightmares, flashbacks, or constantly thinking about what happened can disturb your concentration, your sleep, even your appetite.
No one deserves to be sexually assaulted. Call us. We can help.